Breaking News

Learners fainting spell continues

19 May 2026

Fainting incidents at Boseja Primary School in Maun are still persisting as seven learners fainted on Monday, following the reopening of the school after a temporary closure.

Last week, Minister of Child Welfare and Basic Education, Ms Nono Kgafela-Mokoka closed the school temporarily following reports that 15 learners had collapsed under unclear circumstances.

Addressing stakeholders, which included parents, teachers, school management, district leadership and representatives from the Ministers Fraternal recently, North West District Commissioner, Mr Thabang Waloka, urged them to approach the matter with caution and unity, noting that the cause of the incidents remained unknown.

“We have to take each and every piece of advice seriously and with equal weight because there is no suggestion that is above another in this situation hence, we should give all ideas an opportunity as we work towards resolving this matter,” he said.

As part of the resolutions reached during the meeting, the district commissioner advised that learners who were frequently affected by the fainting episodes be temporarily excused from attending school in order to determine whether the episodes would persist outside the school environment.

The move, he said would help authorities assess whether other learners who had not previously been affected would experience similar incidents in the absence of those who had been affected before.

Stakeholders resolved that the matter would be reassessed next week after monitoring developments during the temporary arrangement.

Mr Waloka further encouraged the Ministers Fraternal to organise inclusive mass prayers involving all church denominations in the district so that the community could collectively participate in efforts to address the situation.

Boseja Primary School Head, Ms Gagobonwe Tshegofatso, said the incidents initially involved two learners who frequently fainted after visiting the school toilets before the number gradually increased over recent weeks.

She said while some of the learners affected on Monday had previously experienced similar incidents, others reportedly fainted for the first time.

Ms Tshegofatso further revealed that prior to the fainting incidents, some teachers had raised concerns over unusual occurrences at the school, including reports of cat hair found on chairs and human faeces discovered on classroom tables.

She added that some affected learners claimed to have seen a black cat or an unidentified woman dressed in black before collapsing, although the claims remain unverified. 

She added that the cause of the incidents had not yet been established. 

Meanwhile, a teacher at the school, Mr Left Tumedi, suggested that learners who were repeatedly affected by the incidents be temporarily transferred to other schools to determine whether the situation would persist in a different environment.

“Sometimes when children see others receiving attention through certain situations, they may adapt to that behaviour as a coping or attention-seeking mechanism and that is why this matter needs to be handled carefully and seriously,” he said.

Speaking on behalf of the Ministers Fraternal, Ms Evelyn Frank, said churches would continue offering prayers for the school and affected learners.

District authorities have since resolved to continue holding weekly meetings to monitor developments and coordinate interventions until the situation is resolved. ends

Source : BOPA

Author : Gaolethoo Kgatitswe

Location : Maun

Event : Meeting

Date : 19 May 2026