Breaking News

SOS Childrens Village celebrates 40 years of impactful care

19 Aug 2026

The SOS Children’s Village is set to host an anniversary gala dinner on the November 28 as a build up to celebrating the organisation’s 40 years of existence.

The 40th anniversary will be held under the theme: Celebrating 40 Years of Impactful Care in Botswana.

Briefing the media recently, SOS national director, Mr Francis Kebalepile reflected on the organisation’s remarkable journey throughout the years. 

He said the children’s village had over the years seen different cadres of people who were involved and guided its growth and continuity to serve its purpose in the past 40 years. 

Mr Kebalepile said Batswana supported SOS throughout the years as they believed that every child deserved a sense of belonging specifically to a family.

SOS Board chairperson, Ms Esther Kanaimba-Senai said the organisation could face financial burdens as the funding from the international community was coming to an end next year. 

Ms Kanaimba-Senai appealed to the business community to amplify the urgent need to assist the organisation reach its full potential of assisting those in need. She said some of the projects put in place were for fund raising purposes such as the dinner night to augment the financial support from government and international funders.

One of the care givers at SOS, Ms Joyce Makoti, who had been with the organisation since 1998, said the centre has shaped her into a responsible woman she was today. 

Ms Makoti said those who provided care and support gave love, stability and much needed opportunities. 

Along the way, she met people who believed in her abilities event though the journey was altogether not an easy task. 

Ms Makoti said her involvement with SOS was a journey, full of valuable and life fulfilling lessons, adding that the passage has proved that the beginning must not determine the end. ENDS

Source : BOPA

Author : Baleseng Batlotleng

Location : Gaborone

Event : Media briefing

Date : 19 Aug 2026